Monday, October 14, 2013

Perseverance. Day 4--Kibera slum.

Today we woke up at 5am to go on a morning game drive at the Nairobi National Park. So, basically a mini safari. It was a beautiful morning! The first time I was in Kenya, one of the locals told me, "do not visit our country and only see the poverty and violence, you must see the beauty too." I'll never forget that. I almost did not go, simply because I have experienced a safari before but the entire team was going and I knew we were about to experience a tough day so I decided to go. I'm so glad I did. Our team shared a lot of laughter. We were sll in the same bus, with a pop up roof. We saw buffalo, rhinos, giraffe, hippos, birds and a few other things. It was truly wonderful to start out the day seeing God's beauty and creation. 

From there we went to Nairobi Java House (my favorite) for breakfast. It was delicious of course! We traveled to the Kibera slum next. It is the largest slum in Africa, and one of the largest in the world. They have just recently started an Academic Center with 45 children, so at this point, none of the children are yet sponsored. Maryanne on our team is a photographer and Brenda Kean asked her to take pictures of the children so that their profiles can eventually be on the website as they develop a sponsorship program for them. We played all afternoon with them. Its amazing how something so simple as blowing bubbles can bring so much joy & laughter. There was this little angel Sharon with the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. They are all so incredibly beautiful!

We went on a few home visits. The testimonies the women gave were so powerful. One in particular was when we visited Margaret's home. She had to be one of the strongest women I've met so far. Some of the women have been more reserved and quiet with soft hand shakes and hugs, but Margaret spoke with strength and confidence. She seems very in tune with God and is believing that better things are yet to come. She was so grateful that we would come visit her, it was as if God may have been using our visit to show her that he has not forgotten about her and loves her so much. I will never forget the way she grabbed my hand and squeezed it as though she was saying, "I hear you God. I won't give up. I know you are with me." I just pray that he'll continue to use me and that I'll be more in tune when he is. 

We went on to visit the women that work at the Kabira Jacaranda Creations branch. They moved to a new location since last year. What a blessing it was to hear each of their testimonies of how God has provided for and looked after them. Such beautiful examples of Gods faithfulness in our lives. Many of the women are HIV positive, so they have really difficult days, but still smile and praise God in the midst of it all. I hope and pray to live my life more intentionally and to trust and believe in God's timing and provision. 

Overall, it was a hard day, but I certainly have a full heart ♥


"The LORD upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food at the proper time. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. The LORD is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made. The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth." --Psalm 145:14-18

No comments:

Post a Comment