Saturday, October 12, 2013

Change. Day 3--Kayole slum

In today's morning devotion, we discussed the book of Acts and how one of the Apostles was given divine appointments and was very in tune with the voice of God. It was a good challenge for me to start thinking about the moments that God places before me each and everyday. I think this is especially important to pay attention to during these moments we are walking through the slums and the women are asking for prayers regarding their health, job opportunities, financial provision, etc.

Then today's question was, what is one thing that you will change in your daily life as a result of this trip?

Have power over my attitude and thoughts.
Be more intentional & find the lost
Relying on prayer
Putting our hope in Jesus
Talk to neighbors, strangers
Seek first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you- health, finances, etc.

Today we headed out to Kayole slum. It was a longer drive across town through the busy streets. There was not much conversation on the way over, simply because there was so much to take in and
process as we witnessed "life on the streets in Africa".

We arrived at the Jacaranda Kayole branch. Rose is the Branch Leader. She is such a sweet woman with such a servant heart. She shared her testimony with all of us. She is a single mother who was in an abusive relationship and by God's grace, she met Brenda Kean, works for Jacaranda and has a passion for other women. She is someone you know is going to do great and mighty things.

Next we visited the Academic Center next door to the Jacarenda Creations branch that just 1 year  ago, was not there. There were approximately 30 children. They sang for us--cutest thing ever. The innocence and sweetness of these children just melt my heart. We ate lunch and split up to go on home visits.

Our group visited Jane's home first. She is a single mother of Jack and Sharon. Like many of the homes we've visited, hers was small but you could tell she was making it as comfortable for her children as possible. She shared with us that her husband was a drunkard and would sometimes urinate in the bed they all shared. There was even a time he urinated in a water container and she did not know it, so she drank out of it. My heart sank. Jack was in school but Sharon was there and I could not get over how much she smiled. There was so much joy in her. After listening to their story, I wanted to ask myself how? Why? This beautiful, innocent child has probably seen so much and yet she still finds joy as these American Muzungus come to visit them. This was a complete eye-opening moment for me. Jane asked for prayer for her finances and that doors would be opened for a job opportunity so she can provide for her family. Pretty basic but crucial needs.

We walked to two more homes. The needs are almost all the same. They are in need of prayer for provision and healing. They don't have stable jobs which means they are unable to provide food for their families and/or rent. It breaks my heart that so many of them need so much of the same thing.

We wrapped up our day at my favorite coffee shop, Nairobi Java House, for a snack. What did I order? A double expresso shake, of course! We traveled back home and rested for a bit and had a team dinner at the Keans home. Delicious. It can be so very hard for me sometimes though to eat an amazing meal after hearing from families who are desperate for food, especially the children. I realize how much I have been blessed but every part of me wanted to take my plate of food to someone in the slums.

Come, Lord Jesus. I know you see these people. I know you feel their pain and suffering. Be near to them. My heart breaks for these women who've been abandoned or abused. Raise up these children to worship and live for you. Hear their cries. Provide for their needs. I ask these things in your name!

No comments:

Post a Comment