Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Out of the wreckage comes BEAUTY...

So, this past week I've been in Tuckahoe, New York (Southampton area).
A family was traveling to NY for a horse show and so I've been nannying for this little guy...


Adorable, isn't he? His name is Sammie.
He's been so much fun!
Sweet as can be. Makes me laugh. Makes me smile. Makes me tired ;)
He's got a lot of energy! Guess I probably did too at 1 years old!
Believe it or not, he's teaching me a lot.
While it's been fun spending time with him almost all day, every day- I've found myself thinking, I could really use some adult conversation.
I guess it has made me really appreciate what Mother's go through.
Especially stay-at-home mother's (and father's).
We all need our adult time. We all need community. We may all need time away from cheerios, juice, toys & temper tantrums. I think it is only healthy.
I think we can certainly enjoy every moment we have with the children around us, we may just need to take time for ourselves.
So, my prayers go out to all of you hard-working mothers & father's and all that you do!

So, along with teaching me this...I've also learned the value of pouring into children- especially at a young age. It's what you choose to do with your child(ren) while taking the time away, that matters.
Are you putting them into the hands of someone you can TRUST.
** Please know I'm not trying to cut down on people that have nanny's or babysitters (because I am one & I love it!) **

So, here I am in New York and I've noticed that several families have nanny's for their children.
What I have observed is they are very hands-off with their children...so they are raised by their nanny.
I'm not sure why but it hasn't settled well with me. It truly breaks my heart.
Why would you have children if you're just going to send them off with someone else?
Many of the children are not polite at all...and appear to really have had no discipline.
So, while Mom & Dad enjoy their luxuries, the children are put in the hands of someone else?
Don't  you want to see your child grow up?
Don't you want to see your child take their first step?
I know that sometimes this is out of the parents control- or in my case, they have asked me to travel with them and take care of their son while they attend tennis clinics and enjoy some husband/wife time & attend a horse show.
It has been so interesting to see a Mother who values spending time with her child, even with me here.
She has specifically told me she wants to take her boy to the park or play with him on the beach.
So, while I'm still getting paid to be here- I get some downtime.
And, I've felt appreciated, with their words, gratitude, etc.

I've also observed Grandparents that have raised their own children up with nannies- so when they have grand babies, they treat them with the same mentality. Short, brief interactions. Scold them for things children at their age do. Leave the room without saying goodbye. Imitate their cute baby talk, like a baby, instead of trying to understand what they are trying to communicate. Again, very hands-off. Almost as is they are a nuisance once they start making a mess or start crying. And, I wouldn't dare change their diaper in the same room as them.
It's been so intriguing to me to see these interactions.

If I am chosen to be a nanny- I want to know that you still want to be a big part of that child's life.
That, you value me as a "part" of the family & not just "cheap labor" to watch your very own children.
These children are precious and deserve more than that.

Finally, another thing I noticed is how people treat nanny's around here (and I'm sure other places too).
But, it is almost as if I'm looked down upon.
Rarely will I get a genuine hello, usually something that is forced.
Again, cheap labor.
They can't associate themselves with someone like, ME!
I'm just the hired help.

I guess if there were a moral to this post, it would be....there are so many children out there that are starving for attention, for love, for nurturing and will one day represent the future generations- we need to pour into them, invest into them, LOVE them! As Proverbs 22:6 states, "Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it."

Ok, so honestly this post wasn't intended for me to go off on that little tangent about nannying...but, I will just say I let my fingers do the talking :)

So....New York. I've never been here, so it's been exciting to see another part of the U.S. that is new to me. I always pictured New York as New York City- big city, lots of lights, lots of traffic.
But, we are in Southampton, a very different part of New York.
There are definitely very beautiful sights here!
Here are just some of them that I've captured...





And, just about everyone heard about Hurricane Irene that hit the East Coast. 
Of course I would come to New York for the first time when a hurricane decides to occur :)
Having never experienced one before, I was just slightly nervous about it.
I mean, what do you do in a hurricane? You don't go to the basement.
I guess, you evacuate? 
Well, the family I am with did not seem to have any plans to evacuate so I'm wondering, do we just hide in the upstairs bathrooms and hope for the best? 
As we watched the news it appeared that the news anchors were really going for media coverage and it seemed that what they were creating to be a dangerous hurricane, was really only a tropical storm when it hit us. From what I hear, New Jersey did get the worst of it.
Ok, I get it...I get it...that's their job. And, "better to be safe than sorry". 
I just found it a little bit humorous, that's all.
So, besides some rain, some strong winds, debris flying around, trees down & power out...we are safe.
I took a few pictures of the beach the day before and the day after...as well as some of the massive trees that were down. 


The beach the day before the storm
Just one of the massive trees that the storm took down
The beach the day after the storm
I guess one thing that I took from this "hurricane" experience was that, out of the wreckage there truly can be beauty!

I've been through so many "storms" in my life and looking back, God has always created something more beautiful through that storm. I didn't see it at the time. (Just like we only see the storm that we are experiencing while it is happening). Whether He's helped me acknowledge my talents, my gifts, my strengths or even my weaknesses, He is wrecking me so that he can build me back me up. So that I can become more like Him, more like the beautiful person He has created me to be.

So, like a storm and like the broken, sinful world we live in- we need to guard ourselves from sin, from the dangerous winds that blow us around...for if we are not careful and don't take the precautions He gives us, through His Word, we will reap the consequences, we will continue to be hurt or suffer. 

Well, that in a nutshell has been my experience in New York so far! :)


Thank you Lord for letting me SEE what you are teaching me through every small circumstance in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment