Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Directing my steps...

"A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."  ~ Proverbs 16:9

This verse has really begun to sink in the more I learn that I am truly not in control of my life.
This move to Nashville, TN has proven to ultimately be HIS plan, not mine.
If people were to ask me if I had ever thought of moving to Nashville, TN I would have said that Tennessee never even entered my thoughts.
I did have a desire to move South for awhile, but in my head, it was going to be Georgia. I had family there and had visited there and loved it.
And, there I was, planning my way, my life.

This past December I accepted a position with a non-profit here in Tennessee as a Mission Trip Coordinator.
This was something I had dreamed about. This was my passion. This was my desire.
I felt like God knew my desires and he was orchestrating everything just the way "I" desired them.
I quickly made the decision to leave WI & move to TN.
Leaving my friends, my family, my church....everything I was comfortable with.
I started my position in January.
I had a temporary living arrangement, that looking back, I should have thought through a lot more.
A relationship that had formed had dissolved.
The questions swirled in my head!
Why is this happening?
I did not know a lot of people.
I still had not found a Church.
I needed to find a place to live.
I was new to Nashville so I was overwhelmed with where to even begin looking.
I was so hesitant to try Craigslist. But, I did.
I found two great potential roommates.
I had to choose one which was hard because they both seemed great!
I decided to go with the roommate with the better location for me.
Turns out we had some mutual connections and she also attended Cross Point Community Church.
The first night I attended, I knew it was where I belonged.
It is now a place I love and call my new Church home.

I say all of this because while I didn't choose the one roommate, we remained friends...and still do.
It definitely seems as though God orchestrated that friendship!
We recently met up and went for a nice long walk together & had a great conversation.
This was actually what prompted me to blog.
Simply because, while we don't always see the reason for our current situations, God does.
He sees the big picture!


So, for the next few months, things were rocky, but they were getting better..
I was beginning to adjust more & more to my new job.
I was beginning to settle in my new "home"..in my new city.
I was beginning to build great friendships.
I was beginning to get involved in my Church.
I was beginning to feel myself again.

Then, one of my sweet cats began to get really sick.
I found a vet close to work and it has turned out to be a wonderful place, with great staff!
They really had compassion for my cat which is so important.
I've learned that those with pets completely understand & know the importance of this.
Over the past several months I begun to get to know the staff- so much that after sharing some of my circumstance, one offered to pray for me.
It seemed again that God had orchestrated this.

Soon, things fell apart with my job and I really began questioning everything. Including God.
What am I going to do?
Why is this all happening to me- all at once? 
I felt like I was losing hope.
Was this entire move a mistake?

"A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."  ~ Proverbs 16:9

This verse came to me again and I began to really seek comfort and peace in it.
The Lord... is directing my steps.

I was recently driving back from Georgia and while I've seen the "Welcome to Tennessee" sign several times..




...it didn't hit me until recently that it is known as "The Volunteer State".
For those that know me, you know that for a long time I have just loved to get involved by volunteering.
It brings me joy to help others in need and to take the focus off of me & my circumstances.
At this moment, it was just another confirmation that God was directing my steps and I should stay in Tennessee!

I'm just so encouraged at how often the moments that seem difficult at the time, are made fruitful with time, prayer, trust and obedience. I know deep down that God only wants the best for me, but when I'm in the moment, in that cloud of my circumstances, it's so hard to see that. I'm thankful for these times, for it draws me closer to my Creator, which He desires from us all along. 

"When God guides us, He works in ways we can't predict. He can use even our inconveniences to bring honor to His name. When we face a seeming nuisance in our day, perhaps we should look not just for what we think we want but also for what God has for us that day." - Dave Branon


Right now, I'm just resting in Him.
Seeking His direction for my life.
I have been looking into some full and part-time nanny opportunities.
I still have a lingering desire in my heart to be involved in Missions or non-profits, in some way.
I don't know what they will look like, but I have a God that does.
I've heard this saying, "In every circumstance, you can either be BITTER or BETTER".
I choose, BETTER!

For anyone that is reading this, I would just ask for your continued prayer during this time.
Prayer for direction, for discernment, clarity and that God will use this time to draw me closer to Him.

Much love!


4 comments:

  1. So encouraged and inspired by your choice to choose BETTER vs bitter. Great blog! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, your wisdom and choice to be steadfast in seeking His Will will get you through anything this life can toss a you. I am proud for you! Praying too! Doneva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for reading my blogs, commenting and providing encouragement. So thankful for you! Much love, Brenda

    ReplyDelete