Thursday, March 10, 2011

Love.4.Orphans

Oh.my.goodness. The time is here!!

Tomorrow, Friday, March 11th, 2011 I will be departing for Uganda, Africa with an amazing team of 18 people through Visiting Orphans! Many of you know I joined VO, a Christian non-profit located in Brentwood, TN, in January. This will be my 1st Mission Trip with them. I don't know why He chose me...but I am so thankful He did. I believe God has a bigger and better plan for my life, one that I could never imagine. I desire for my heart to break for what breaks His. I am humbly amazed at how much my life has changed over the years, and especially in how my heart and passions in life have changed. 

It's simple. We are beyond blessed in America and many of us continue to take it for granted. We are me-focused. I feel that it is time to let go of these worldly possessions, false beliefs, and idols...and begin to realize what others don't have and to start serving and giving them the attention and love they deserve. 

Although, my spiritual journey has consisted of several highs and lows, it has also involved continual growth and learning. I am confident that although I have shed several tears, complained and asked God "why is this happening to me?", most of my growth has occurred through these painful heartaches, challenges and trials in my life. He is stretching me. He is transforming me. Everyday I am learning to surrender MY plans, and depend completely on God, living for Him and HIS purpose for my life. I have a strong passion for the orphans and want to experience what it means to live out the biblical mandate to look after and care for them.

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. ~James 1:27

If you would like to see what I will be doing, I have attached my itinerary, links to the different partner ministries and orphanages we will be working with, and some videos to watch. Oh. You may just need to grab kleenex. 


Brenda's UGANDA itinerary
Fri. Mar 11th - Fly to D.C, check into hotel. Worship and prayer with the team.
Sat. Mar 12th - Meet team for breakfast at 6:30 AM and depart for airport. Fly out of Dulles airport on Ethiopian airlines at 11 AM for Uganda.
Sun. Mar 13th - Arrive in Entebbe at 12:45 PM. Drive to Jinja, Uganda and check in to hotel. Exchange money, rest some and have dinner with the team. 
Mon. Mar 14th - Spend the day at Canaan Children's Home and spend the night. 
Tue. Mar 15th - Work with street children in Jinja with Pillars of Hope Uganda/From the Streets.
Wed. Mar 16th - Spend the day at Canaan Children's Home. Shopping at the market in Jinja. Drive to Kampala, Uganda and check into hotel.
Thur. Mar 17th - Spend the day with Pastor Samuel and the children of Return Uganda Ministries.
Fri. Mar 18th - Spend the day with children of Return Uganda Ministries. Drive to Jinja and eat dinner at Pastor Isaac's.
Sat. Mar 19th - Spend the day with Amazima ministries feeding program to work with Katie Davis' children. Boat ride to source of the Nile, the longest river in the world, and dinner at Canaan's.
Sun. Mar 20th - Spend the day with Amazima ministries to work with Katie Davis' children among the Karamajong Tribe, some of the poorest of the poor. Drive back to Kampala and check into hotel.
Mon. Mar 21st - Spend the day with Royal Hope Academy children.

Tue. Mar 22nd - Arrive at the airport, depart for the States.

Wed. Mar 23rd - Arrive home in the States!

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive of this calling on my life. I cannot express my gratitude and thankfulness that I have each of you in my life. Thank you for loving me for who I am, faults and all. Thank you for your advice, your wisdom, your guidance, your inspiration, your friendship, your listening ears or shoulders to cry on, and for your generous hearts to help me in any way. I especially want to thank those of you who have helped me and continue to help me during this new transition in my life and relocation to Nashville, Tennessee. While it has been an adventure, it has not been easy. In fact, it has probably been the most challenging time in my life. I continue to learn a lot about me and who God truly is. I am learning to trust Him as the creator of my life, who is in ALL the details.  I sincerely thank you all for your patience and understanding through it all. I am completely humbled by this amazing opportunity to coordinate Mission Trips to visit the "least of these" and share God's unconditional, unchanging, all-powerful love to each one of them.

Family and Friends, I am asking for your prayers for our team as we travel, for our safety and protection, and for the lives of these orphans to be changed forever. I also pray for boldness, wisdom and God's spirit as I work alongside our team and to share the love of Jesus with these beautiful children who deserve love and so much more. I also pray that God would be glorified in all I do and say...and that He would do something amazing in me through this experience. 


I love you all,
Brenda

No comments:

Post a Comment